Head of Engineering
The Rickyard, Eashing Lane, Godalming, Surrey GU7 2QA
Hours of Work
9:00 – 5.30 Monday to Friday and as required to fulfil duties
Client Project Teams, Client Design Teams, Main Contractor & Sub Contracted Project Partners, Manufacturers & Suppliers.
Sales Team, Design Team, Project Managers, Service Team, Commercial Team
Main Purpose of Job
The Lead Engineer is responsible for ensuring all technical elements of a Project are understood at the point of handover from Sales. This will include a meeting presence at both design workshops and delivery stages of a project’s life cycle. As a further handover to on-site installation teams, the Lead Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the designated site manager fully understands the delivery scope of the project from a technical point of view. This requires visits to site and timely delivery of technical drawings and documentation.
The Lead Engineer is also responsible for both completing and delegating engineering tasks to Engineers within the team. They are responsible for providing technical knowledge to allow Engineers to produce high quality work that is fit for purpose as prescribed by the Head of Engineering..
The Lead Engineer works under the direction of the Head of Engineering and will work collaboratively to evolve working practices and processes to drive efficiency through the department.
- To complete and delegate Engineering tasks as required and, determined following internal meetings, external meetings and using own initiative to understand requirement on a project by project basis.
- To produce required technical documentation, including, but not limited to, layout drawings, M&E datasheets, rack layouts, connection schematics, projection layouts, rigging plans, field termination schematics, IP and media matrices, show control specification, Operation & Maintenance manuals.
- To support new business proposals by assisting with the technical evaluation of design solutions.
- To attend client design and project meetings as and when necessary.
- To attend key milestone meetings on all Sysco installation projects, from project start to completion.
- To support Project Delivery Team throughout the project delivery process to ensure they receive appropriate information to allow the timely delivery of Sysco projects.
- To ensure that the technical quality of Sysco installation projects meet requirements.
- To monitor project delivery progress at key milestones to ensure the production specification has been met, feedback comments to the Engineering Team to ensure continuous improvement on Sysco installation projects.
- To provide engineering support to the service department with any upgrade works.
- To work closely with the Design elements of a project to share skills and knowledge and to provide assistance when required.
Experience / Qualifications
- Educated to degree level in an Engineering discipline or a minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience.
- An up-to-date understanding of the AV marketplace including products and trends.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects.
- Good understanding of IT and networks.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office including advanced level Excel and Word.
Skills / Behaviour
Back to Careers page
- Positive and pragmatic in approach.
- Highly motivated and organised.
- Team focused.
- Detail focused.